Prior to 1878 this area was just three farms, Upper and Lower Guttershedge, and Cockman’s in the Wood. A station opening in 1868 led to slow development and by 1886 there were 200 new houses in the area and the first churches, a Baptist and an Anglican.
St Patrick’s church was became a place of worship in 1964, and has had its own priest since 1969. Previously the building had been known as St John’s Hall, possibly connected to a St John’s school in Milton Road.
(information gathered from British History Online)